Tuesday, May 02, 2006

On Case 38


05/02/2006 5:45 AM – 6:11 AM

- The Gateless Gate, Case 38: A monk asked Joshu, “Why did the Bodhidharma come to the West?” Joshu replied, “an oak tree in the garden.” – If the Buddha and all the dharma heirs were truly desireless, how then could it be that they desired to teach the dharma way and ending the suffering of all sentient beings? Something strong, in no need of tending, in a well-tended place.

It comes again to that contradiction. If sitting teaches us to be content at all times in all things, why would we do anything at all? If one can be equally content while starving and feasting, what should we strive for? Why strive for anything? Why do I need to get up this early to sit and write? Why not do anything but sit? Why sit? - an oak tree in the garden –

I wish to be content, like an oak tree in a garden. There is no need for worrying. This is enough. And this is enough. And this. And this. On and on until the last this we experience slips from our minds and bodies. I do not understand those things which are paradoxes, but I will desire a desireless existence. Well, okay, I’m not that far along. I merely wish to end my own suffering. Suffering is ended by learning that each moment is enough, more, filled with peace and understanding. I understand enough to be alive at this moment. I have enough data processed to know how to breathe in this moment. And now that moment is gone and I have enough understanding to know how to breathe in this moment. I’m alive in this moment. I desire a strong cabin in the woods. I desire a motorcycle. But I am breathing at right this moment. I’m typing on a computer and will soon post what a write on the Internet. I actually have more than I absolutely need. I have enough food to last me through the day. I have enough air to breath. I even have enough tobacco to smoke. Which sort of works against the last thing. Parting words, then? This is enough, Spike. There is more than enough at hand to keep you from being bored. There always will be. There’s no need to worry. Just count your breaths and let go of your anxiety. Worrying won’t help you. You have more than enough for this moment. And this one. And this one. And this one. An oak tree in the garden.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home