Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Unfortunately Absurd

2/9/2010 8:38 AM – 8:59 AM

It’s a Tuesday which is my Monday. I haven’t been writing these things. Laziness is part of it. Another part is simply that I don’t really want to write about the things that I have been thinking about. They’ve been either petty or depressing. I’m trying to be good, but I don’t even know what that really means.

I’ve been thinking about the things that one reads on Wikipedia, how they seem to drift away. But not everything. Most things, but not everything. They had a chart up that compared and contrasted the four schools of thought that emerged from Kierkegaard’s ruminations. He ended up with Theistic Existentialism. Which Camus considered a kind of philosophical suicide. There was also Atheistic Existentialism, Absurdism and Nihilism. I’d been thinking that my leanings have been towards Nihilism lately, but, according to that chart, I’m closer to Absurdism. Absurdism’s response to the great questions is “maybe.” That’s about as far as I’ve been able to take it lately.

I wish I could go as Kierkegaard did to a belief in the goodness of the Divine. A goodness that is not our goodness, as our goodness is rooted in the genes and experiences of the mind that resulted from those genes. Our mind, amazing as it is, cannot even begin to imagine the experience of the Divine mind. But the starting point of accepting the unknowing of the Divine requires a leap of faith that is to acknowledge the existence of the Divine. There cannot be rational arguments for or against the Divine because reason is bound to and emerges from this existence. We don’t have those colors in our crayon box. I don’t have enough faith for that leap. And so, again and again, I find myself slapped back down to the Absurd. Which, for noobs, is not the normal use of the word. It’s a philosophy term after all. They never are. Maybe. I’m tired of that word. But that word is the only thing that I can use. Maybe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home