Saturday, December 05, 2009

On the Agonizing Moment

12/5/2009 1:38 PM – 1:52 PM

And this will be a short one. I woke up very late today but, for once, I feel rested. It would seem that I get my agony moments in story-making while I’m in the shower. When I got the one from “Angel’s Share” I was in the shower, and instead of writing today, I was going over some old notes for my next novel.

When I was in the shower, getting ready for work, I realized the worst thing that could happen to my character. It was so bad it hurt my soul. If I have one. It was the same thing for Angel’s Share. I wonder if anyone will notice that moment, the one that hurt me to write it? I doubt it. It’s infused with humor. Everything that I do seems to be infused with humor. One of the bad guys in Angel’s Share says that that is the best defense that we have when staring into the face of oblivion. Unfortunately, I think I agree with that. At least today. Hopefully, not tomorrow. The Moment of Greatest Agony is a story concept that I picked up somewhere in the few years, I’m not sure where. It’s just that the emotional climax of a story should occur when the protagonist. .. Crap word for what I’m writing… hero. When the hero of the story has a realization of how crap the crap is and has to make a decision.

And the decision should be bad. Not in the sense of “he made a bad choice and there was a good one” but “he made a bad choice in the face of only bad choices.” But, if the hero is truly a hero, the choice should be the right one. Story-telling, at least the kind I’m doing at the moment is not reality. It’s a ridiculous lie that makes the ridiculous truth embraceable. And this is depressing. Well, this is the Ego. And I’m off to work. Drink well and long.

5 Comments:

Blogger trawlerman said...

It's good to see you back here. It's too bad we haven't seen one another in the flesh any time recently. I left you a box of comics. I'm not sure if Ben gave them to you or not. I didn't leave any instructions. I stopped by the house many months ago. I knocked. No one answered. I tried the doorknob. It turned. So I yelled. But no one answered. So. I left the box inside and that was that. Hopefully, I had the right house.

The real reason I'm commenting, though, is that you need to see A Serious Man. Really. I think you'll love it. Anyhow, I love it. I've seen it twice and am hoping to see it a third time soon.

December 5, 2009 at 3:41:00 PM PST  
Blogger trawlerman said...

Did my comment happen?

December 5, 2009 at 3:41:00 PM PST  
Blogger Spike said...

Yes, I got the comics! It was pretty awesome to come home and find that the Comics Bunny had visited. Thanks! Much! They've been appreciated. I've been wanting to see A Serious Man but I'll admit to being slightly afraid of it. Job well told is a pretty harsh book and having the Coen brothers tell it? - wicked harsh.

I've got the "must confirm comments thing" on. There was a rash of spambot comments back when I doing this thing a lot.

December 5, 2009 at 7:46:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Mack Wonder said...

Hey, I litterally just read the section in Angel Share about the humor thing and then remembered that I hadn't read the Ego in a few days and then came over to read it. Then you talked about what I litterally just read...Wierd.

Anyway, sorry about not finishing the story yet. I'm getting there. I really like it so far. Sure there are few things I think could be changed, but it definitely has the potential to be something great. I will give you my general comments when I am done. Then I will read it again and again.

Oh and Jennifer wants to read it to. She loves detective stories...though usually with women detectives.

December 8, 2009 at 9:24:00 AM PST  
Blogger Spike said...

Sweet! Thank you, Sir. I do always look forward to your comments. Now it is the time for the Spike to wait... And awesome, I hope Jennifer likes it!

December 8, 2009 at 7:52:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home