Wednesday, April 21, 2010

People that Write Things are People that Suck

4/21/2010 8:39 AM – 9:01 AM

Now this is how the instants are supposed to go. I have nothing in particular that I want to write about and I just woke up. It’s a fuzzy gray sky outside. I am, of course, thinking about cigarettes. Non-smokers just don’t appreciate how awesome smoking is.

There is a possibility that I’ll actually finish the workbench that I started last year sometime this summer. That’s good. Something to look forward to. I have to do my laundry today. I need to remember that. I should actually work on writing something. It’s been a while since I’ve done that. And I need to run. Two hours or so from now. So I should have some breakfast. Know what would be awesome? A cigarette. That’s what would be awesome. Stupid universe. I’ve been listening to books on CD a lot lately. Actually, books on MP3. They fill the time well.

All of them have been non-fiction. It’s weird. I don’t really like listening to fiction being read to me. Or maybe it’s just that switch that’s happened in the last few years where I prefer to read non-fiction to fiction. This, for someone that says he wants to be a novelist is probably not a great thing. But I’ve read interviews with writers that don’t really like to read. Which, honestly, I can’t understand. It might be that I’m too easily drawn into the emotions of fiction. If a story is any good, it’s going to have some compelling emotions and it’s easier for a writer to take a reader convincingly to a dark place than a happy one. I don’t even like to watch dark emotion movies anymore and they only last for around two hours. I’m much less likely to commit to eight, twelve or sixteen hours in a nice long novel because the vast majority of novelists think it necessary to kick their readers in the balls and say, “ha! Existence blows! Vote Democrat.” Damn do I hate politics that differ from mine. Especially in the hands of people who can wordsmith well. You’re not convincing me. You’re not actually convincing anyone. The only people that will enjoy that are the people that already agree with you. Sigh. And the exact same thing could be said about me when I do it. Okay. Woodworking next it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home