Monday, April 19, 2010

Run, Poo (again) and More -er Than -est

4/19/2010 9:27 AM – 9:48 AM

I’ve been waking up early the past week or so. Since a few days after I quit smoking. I’m guessing that the two are connected, but I can’t be sure. It’s also been more spring-ish and I’ve been running every day. Those two might be the reasons as well. Can there ever be a pure experiment in real life? For that matter, can there ever be a pure experiment in a lab?

I woke up at 6:30 this morning. I wondered if I should go running. I did. It took about an hour and a half for me to wake up and get dressed but I was out by 8. About 10 minutes in, I realized that I had to poo. I thought I could hold it till I got back home. By minute 14 of running (I walk for about 10 minutes at the start), I had to divert to the bathrooms that were on the back side of Cass park, near the dog run. I don’t know that I’ve been in a bathroom that scary in a while. Didn’t matter. I had to go. It might have something to do with the three large bowls of salad that I ate yesterday for lunch and dinner. Well, three bowls of salad and two large pieces of chocolate cake.

I’ve been able to get away with only the first poo lately, but today was definitely not that. Later, I will go to the store. Stores actually. I need to pick of a few items from a few different places. If I ride my bike, it won’t take as long, but I’ll have to ride through town and I won’t be able to listen to my podcasts. If I walk, it will take a while but I’ll be able to listen and I won’t have to think like a vehicle. The non-smoking is most annoying at work. I have fewer things to look forward to. It used to be that I could remind myself that in an hour, say, I’d get to have a cigarette when I took the trash to the dumpster. Now I just take the trash to the dumpster. The moments that I look forward to now are lunch, illegal (not really but sort-of) break before final push, and going home. Those that say pleasure is an illusion are idiots. Pleasure is delightful and real. It’s just that some pleasures sometimes need to be put away. “–est” is an over-used suffix. I’m just as guilty of it. I like my hyperbole. But there’s a lot more -er’s than there are –est’s.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home