Wednesday, March 03, 2010

First Run Again

3/3/2010 11:07 AM – 11:27 AM

I went running for the first time today in almost thirteen months. It wasn’t bad. It was a wusses interval training – run for two minutes, walk for two minutes. Still, I did 2.3 miles in 35 minutes, that’s a lot better than I did the first time I went running three years ago. I have discovered, however, that I need to change my morning shake for running days. Running with a fiber-heavy meal in your gut is not so good.

Actually, during the run, it was fine. The trouble arose after I’d gotten back and cooled down. So, I think the running day breakfast shake will be coffee, yogurt and honey. Then have the Fiber 1 in the post-run shake. Experimenting is fun. I’m a little wired. The only muscles that are currently sore are my quads right above the knees. What this will do to my lifting tomorrow, I am curious to see. I found a good exercise plan online – three days of lifting a week, three days of running a week. Two of the running days are interval training, the third is the Long Slow Run. For the next month or so, however, it will be fine to just get out and go. I was getting antsy to start running. Next, quit smoking.

The quitting is the hardest. Not even just the quitting smoking. My personality is to feel guilty for wasting time, so it’s easier to add good things to a schedule. The stopping of doing bad things doesn’t have as much emotional pay-off. And, Lordy, the first cigarette after cool-down is awesome. Perhaps better even than the first cigarette-with-cup-of-coffee. But that will have to go. I was calculating how much weight I need to lose. They recommend that I weigh something like 160 for my height. I don’t think I dipped below 185 in high-school and my body-fat percentage was well within the healthy range. My goal is to drop down to 185 by next March. That’s 51 pounds in 52 weeks. That’s the healthy way to do it. Then I was thinking that my birthday is coming up in a few weeks, and going with that, I realized that I was shooting to weigh 185 on my 35th birthday. Yes. In a year and a few weeks, I will be 35. What this means, I don’t know. I know that the healthier you are, the longer you can remain “youthful.” And, being a dude, I can have babies up until the day I die. Provided everything stays in working order. But this is much older than I thought I would be to be where I am right now. It’s not bad. It’s not what I was expecting. I suppose that it’s like sitting. You do what you think you should do. You’ll get distracted. When you remember, you start again. And you see where that takes you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home