Thursday, May 29, 2008

Which Is Scattered. Again. But Uses the Word "Research" Several Times.

05/29/2008 6:34 AM – 7:08 AM

Perhaps the downside of silly dance pop is that you digest it so quickly: seven or eight plays and you’ve got the song down. Most of the ones that you love eventually show up in your consciousness again, demanding another few listens, but they do tend to end up at the flavorless stage of the bubblegum pretty quick.

The upside to the downside is that it means you get to go looking for new ones pretty damn quick. Research – the true obsession of nerds like me. I ran last night (it was two-and-a-half miles) and it hardly hurt at all. Of course, I did the “endurance” type running style as opposed to the “speed” type running style. Which basically means I shuffled like an arthritic old man instead of lifting my legs high like a spry young thing. It’s funny running towards pretty girls that run like the runners they are. I feel inclined to imitate their stride until I remember – “wait. That really hurts. Keep running like an old man. Then you can keep running. You’re thirty-two. They’re, like, twelve or something.”

The muscle aches from lifting weights two nights ago really didn’t show up until last night. I’d forgotten that there is a delay when you first start out. My arms hurt. And my boobs. Eighteen years of being bound by childship. Twelve years of being bound by money (and a small packet of certain, seemingly arbitrary moral rules). Then you hit thirty-one and you realize that you’ve had a pretty good run of figuring stuff out and it might be time to apply the data. Not that I’ll stop researching. But you figure out certain things that tend to invoke happiness and other things that tend to do the opposite. And a majority of things that could go either way. Sleep enough. Exercise. Write. Go to work. Eat well, but not too well. Be friendly. Research. These are pretty solid in my “happy inducing” camp. There are probably several other things that are slipping my age’d memory. But not really that many. And of happy things you say, “For the rest of my life.” And that is a very, very long time. Or not. But probably. And it’s better to assume it will be so, or you will be very poor, very quickly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home