Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Which Starts with Questions of Cookies and Ends with Questions of Love. Sort of a Reverse Proust. Not That I've Read Proust.

05/27/2008 6:55 AM – 7:42 AM

And now what state am I in that I think home-made cookies are better tasting that store-bought ones? Unless the store-bought ones are expensive. Some habits of thought change some do not. Old proclivities that I thought quelled rise and then fall away, as if only to let me know that they remain.

But I do not think man a constant thing. At least men of my sort. It is as if we were constructed of fairly consistent boxes, but what those boxes contain changes from day to day or year to year. I find myself in the categorical position of Kant but modified. I’m not drawn to Kant. He was a bad writer, so thick as to be almost nothing more than a set of guts to be read into, a mere augury. But is that neither here nor there? And I ran last night for the first time in four days. I felt both the good effects of rest and the ill effects of ceasing the exercise for even that period of time. One can reach a conclusion by reason and force one to it by will, but the rewards must be emotional, reason counting nothing either pleasant or unpleasant.

I find my self desiring love again. The last case came and went without much comment. But I would deign that a matter of inaction on my part. It is one thing to play with a love as a pretty thought while one is alone, quite another thing to pursue and make it known to the world. Or even the object of one’s affection. But for now, I am content. Twenty-eight years of study and I still don’t know what the she that is She should be. The general survey of the pertinent text would leave one to hold: similarity of basic intelligence, similarity of basic world-view and SOP, and the ability to disagree without becoming vicious or disdainful. The last is one that we can work on, the first two a result of genetics and experience. But still there is that need to know that you do have to work on it. There is a girl I know who finds much wrong with the world and will speak at length about it. Never once have I heard her admit that the fault was her own, even for matters soon forgotten. I, self-important as I am, at least can see that the problem is often a matter of my own indifference or perspective. And I know a girl who sees much wrong, but finds it to most often be a result of her own inadequacies. That is inaccurate as well. The world often is as it is and we are often what we are. We must learn to accept this. The problem that arises is that love requires, yes, acceptance where differences exist, but also a similarity that allows for that trust which guides one to intimacy. I suppose that there have existed millions of perfectly good marriages since marriage began which didn’t require more than a cosmetic smudge of intimacy, but I haven’t been waiting twenty-eight years for that. At thirty-three Montaigne married. At that same age both Jesus and Alexander died. The hard questions that I began asking of love at seventeen, I still ask. Which comes first, the bird or the nest? Beloved movies aside, of what value are you? Should you bring peace or challenge? Do you pull up, down or not at all? Will you add strength to my life or merely add weight to it? What do you cost? Is there a point after which you will not arrive? How do you arrive? How is it that you leave? And how do I make you stay? But perhaps these questions are mere academic sophistry, asked not to gain knowledge but to stall for time. Yes, I put it on a pedestal, but everyone should have something up there, else we become crude and cheap things, our lives those nasty, brutish and short things of the pessimist’s imagination.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

brad warner in his book "hardcore zen" describes his experience of enlightenment, the transmission of dharma, as the realization that all things (even the clouds in the sky) have his face. our outer world is a reflection of us. We are it, as the Experiencers in our little spaceship of intellect. All things we view/hear/smell/feel/taste/and think are absorbed by our consciousness, and become us, and as we experience them, we become them.

so... reverse proust...
this She, is You.
At what point are you a challenge, an anchor to yourself, at what point do your benefits outweigh your cost? At what point does the pursuit of You out value the attainment of You?

just a thought, and you can tear it off with your fingers when no one is looking. no one likes the crust on our peanut butter sandwiches, especially not when power pack and peter parker are flashing by in 4 color glory

May 27, 2008 at 1:17:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Spike said...

I keep meaning to get that book. I know we've got it at the library - I've seen it come through at least a half-dozen times. And I agree/disagree.

There is that-which-is-perceived (our experience of the stuff on the plate) and the thing-in-itself (not the plate, but the stuff actually on the plate) and while I don't know if the soul (which I do believe is there) can exist apart from the body (the early fathers debated this, "not" sort-of won which is why we have the "resurrection" clause in the creed), there is (in practice) a disjunct between that-which-is external and that-which-is internal. But this disjunct is a paradox containing both its justification (the dark side of the moon) and its refutation (the gravity of the dark side of the moon).

So. The She is a self-construct, but the She is also a separate entity, existing without my permission or direction. The first is attainable without resort to romance and it is, most likely, the thing that I'm talking about when I'm talking about the She. But babies don't get made that way (not saying that I'm going to make any). Both the Buddha and Jesus may not have made a distinction between their biological children (not saying either had any... wait, the Buddha did...) and their dharma children, but nature did. Both idealism and materialism are hopelessly flawed if they aren't messily co-mingled.

I'm not quite tearing it off as crust (the bread might be toasted and then the no-likey-crust clause is over-ruled), admitting that the desire for She will not be resolved by a real-live-girl, but the real-live-girl is in a more precious place than mere She-ness by abiding without my permission or projection. In love, the She becomes the real-live-girl and the real-live-girl becomes the She, come into the world and dwelt among us.

The magic inherent in the #1 Dime, as Magica eventually learned (well, in the Don Rosa stories), was in Scrooge's love for it, but anywhere else in the Duckburg it still wouldn't have bought a cup of coffee.

May 28, 2008 at 4:47:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when the sandwich rests on the plate, there is a thin level of atomic interaction between the electrons (and other silly named sub atomic particles as named by Mr. Hawking) of the plate and those of the sandwich.
at that level, the distinction between sandwich and plate is merely a matter of perception. We perceive them to be separate, and they certainly TASTE different, and yet they are made of similar particles who co-mingle when near one another.
it is important to note that they are the same
it is equally important to note that they are different
it is equally important to note that healthy dogs have cold wet noses

May 28, 2008 at 1:24:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home