Friday, April 25, 2008

On the Beat of the Thing

04/25/2008 7:19 AM – 7:42 AM

And in the end, panic attacks don’t really matter. They’re the sprained ankle of the mind. It stings and you’ve got to be a little careful on it for a few days, but the little tweaks and freezes stop after a few days and you’re back to the level you were at before. My current theory is that changing around my room triggered it, and I’ve got a few more changes of room before I’m done, so meh. Be better, oh brain.

It is better to be happy, even at the price of seeming rather silly. It is good to feel pretty. Let the world know me as happy and let this very self that is alone in his room know me as happy. I’m alive on this beautiful day and I hope for the salvation of all after death. That’ll do as a picture. That’ll do. Don’t fall in love with married women, but do fall in love as much as you can, with the same person, if possible. Don’t worry about tomorrow. Don’t ruminate over the past. Unless it's the cool parts. This very moment is where we are and God is to be found here. Sometimes you’ve got to look a little. Be grateful for the past, remembering what is good. Look forward to the future, considering the silly fun yet to be had.

Dance, I think. Do the moderate pleasure of working towards a goal most of the day, but sprinkle little instances of useless momentary pleasure throughout. Does it add up to anything? Sure. Or rather, sure! Put down your philosophy books and pick up your comic books, preferably the funny ones. Go running. Save a little money. Spend a little money frivolously. Use drugs, but recognize that the pleasant effects are one of those little things that should be experienced in moderation. Hell is sometimes other people, but then so is heaven. Writing a public blog that is ostensibly about giving advice to yourself is really a rather narcissistic endeavor. That being said, there is nothing wrong with a little narcissism, but one should recognize that it is one of those pleasant little things that should be engaged in moderation. Learn things from flowers. Recognize that you’re going to die, but only to the extent that it makes not being dead more fun that it was. Lots of gods have died; the wonderful thing about Jesus is he rose again. For me. Rise again, oh Lover of my soul. Rise again and set my feet to dancing to silly 90’s pop music where the words don’t matter. Just the beat of the thing.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for that buddy. I was actually feeling down today, but that, at least momentarily, made me smile and feel a little happy inside.

It really is great to see you doing so well these days. I love the shit out of this Spike. I would be nice to chill with you, but who knows when the next time that will happen seeing as I am for the most part an Austonian. Unless, you also want to be an Austonian. It truly does rock down here buddy. Definitely your kind of people.

Anyway, thanks again for the bit o' wisdom. It truly does help.

April 25, 2008 at 11:15:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Spike said...

I think that for me, there's few greater compliments that to have been told "you made me smile and feel a little happy inside." So thank you, sir. And I do actually contemplate Texas. Three of the top four happiest cities in the US are in Texas. And Austin has City Limits, Troublemaker Studios and Harry Knowles. And soon Texas will have my former favorite library patron. Man, everybody's moving to Texas. But it will probably be a couple of years for me. Probably.

April 26, 2008 at 5:46:00 AM PDT  
Blogger sharon said...

Narcissism is good when I get to profit from it... when I get to read your blog I mean. I am ALL about your happiness kick. I like hope. I like happiness. I find it soothing.

April 30, 2008 at 6:13:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Spike said...

I like happiness too. It is like a very odd train. Sometimes it arrives right on schedule. Sometimes it doesn't arrive when you expect it to, leaving you holding your ticket slightly chagrined. And sometimes it shows up when you're nowhere near the station and wondering how the heck it got there. But there it is. It is a very odd train. Exquisitely lovely though. And, yes, quite soothing.

May 5, 2008 at 5:01:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home