Wednesday, April 09, 2008

On 31-32, Gratefully

04/09/2008 6:26 AM – 7:01 AM

And so it is my birthday: happy birthday! To me! 2 to the 5th power! For some reason, a discussion of birthdays came up yesterday at the store (I did not mention that mine was today) and Nora (my store boss) said that she didn’t really celebrate them anymore, which I was more than half-inclined to agree with but then Sarah the Volunteer laughed and said, “Oh no! At my age, I’m grateful for every year more I get!” She’s 82.

I like Sarah’s response more. The cynic in me is satisfied by the fact that such a response is so thoroughly humble as well as being so happy. And so at 32, I am grateful for my 31st year. I just did my taxes and it was the most money I’ve ever made in one year. I’m grateful that I finally learned how to work. I’m grateful that I have bosses that encourage me in working. I’m grateful for the cool and funny kids I work with. I’m grateful for those few really wonderful patrons that make being nice feel really good. I’m grateful that I learned the happiness and suckiness of running and that I’ve started it up again even earlier this year.

I’m grateful that I survived my panic attacks and did, in fact, learn from them. A lot actually. I’m grateful that the new novel is going well. I’m grateful that the student loan people finally caught up with me and it didn’t suck nearly as much as I thought it would. I’m grateful for my family, far away though it is. I’m grateful for my friends, scattering further though they might be. I’m grateful for email and blogs. I’m grateful for Wikipedia and Google. I’m grateful for bourbon and hoppy beer and pot. I’m grateful for fat, sugar and salt. I’m grateful for boobs. I’m grateful for unexpected and unrestrainable laughter. I’m grateful for learning humility once again in how little we can know and how wonderful it is to love, even if it doesn’t come right back. Perhaps that was what Koheleth was talking about when he talked about casting your bread upon the waters. I’m grateful for the dark days that make the bright ones euphoric. I’m grateful for empirical studies of happiness even if I don’t know how useful they’ll turn out to be. I’m grateful for those few scattered writers who can write and make the world into a funny serious wonderful mysterious hard meaningful loving place to live. I’m grateful for God, even if he won’t show up in my room and tell me that everything is going to turn out really, really well. I’m grateful that I learned what it means to hope for something that you can’t quite convince yourself is true. I’m grateful that I’m still alive and happy at this little moment. I’m grateful for the blue sky and the yawning morning. I’m grateful for my cup of coffee and my pouch of tobacco (even if the smoking of said tobacco makes me cough up really disgusting things – I really must quit soon). I’m 32 and I’m grateful for that. A whole ‘nother year to wonder and act and see and hope and love. Yeah - faith, hope and love – these are what I am most grateful for this year, I think. Well, those and boobs of course.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And sir, we are indeed most grateful for you. I am grateful for your honesty and candor, and your willingness to put yourself out there for your craft. I only wish I could be so honest sometimes. You deserve all the best sir.

I am glad that you are happy and loving life on your birthday, even though you are well into your 30's now. Daaaaaamn. Soon I will be there, but for now I am still just a youngin'. So, keep on keepin' you old fart you.

April 9, 2008 at 7:57:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Spike said...

I thank you sir, though I fear my honesty is most often bluster and my dedication to the craft is flighty at best, I thank you. Yes, soon you too will be old, but really, it's not that bad. Much easier to pick up eighteen-year-old. Nooch.

April 10, 2008 at 5:11:00 AM PDT  
Blogger w. said...

Happy 32nd year, Spike! I like this.

April 11, 2008 at 4:24:00 PM PDT  
Blogger sharon said...

Ha! I'm lately grateful for boobs, but for what they produce- namely a rolling, fat baby. Perhaps that was too much... I meant to comment that I wish you the happiest birthday around, and that your last communication has had me thinking since then, and that you are wonderful and your post made me happy. Then I got side-tracked by the boobs.

April 11, 2008 at 6:17:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Abigail said...

Happy birthday, Spike, all the way from exotic Campville.

I liked this post, as I like your blog. We'd all do well to say farewell to each year, those both plenty and lean, with this measure of gratefulness.

And I've a present for you; rather, I will have a present for you once John buys the hardware to burn it on c.d.

It has something to do with a Grublet...

April 12, 2008 at 7:53:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Spikey! Happy 32!

April 14, 2008 at 8:43:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Spike said...

Winona - thank you! According to aforementioned empirical studies of happiness, a sense of gratitude is one of the universal characteristics of happy people, now there is a chicken or the egg problem, but still... I am grateful.

Sharon - Yes! For babies! That's totally what I was meaning! And thank you. Don't worry, I get side-tracked by the boobs all the time.

Abigail - Omagoodnessomagoodnessomagoodness! Ooooooooh... father Grublet taught us wrong, he had us woiken' all day long... !!! Woohoo!

April 14, 2008 at 9:05:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Spike said...

Tanks Steve-o! Happy!

April 14, 2008 at 9:24:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Abba's Kids said...

yeah...grateful is good...! So I am thinking we have a running adventure ahead of us...cost is on me...it's in October! (no more hints until you call or e-mail us) I was up to 6 miles in the desert!

April 14, 2008 at 10:01:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Spike said...

Sweeeeeet... I'm not up to 6 yet. In fact I'm only at 1, three times a week, but I did have that superniftycooltime week last summer when I did 5.5 four times in one week. Hmmm... October... I will call. Maybe.

April 15, 2008 at 9:25:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home