Tuesday, February 21, 2006

In Which the Wind Goes "Whoosh" and the Snow Goes "Shh-tik, shh-tik"


02/21/2006 7:28 AM – 7:55 AM

The base state of existence is silent. Is it good, evil, neutral? It doesn’t say. Good, evil, neutral all imply a choice. Existence makes no choices. It drifts along the tracks laid down at Plank’s Time. We are the value-givers, the appraisers.

What we seek in zazen is that bottom state. Silence. Why do good? And what is good? What would it be like to fall in love again? Breathe in. Breathe out. I exist as a value-giver. Without a guide, you must determine what is good and what is evil and what is neutral. How can be in the trenches and determine what value is good? Appraisers without a guide except for the small pamphlet of personal experience. You only get one shot. You can only live in one life. There is only this. One long mistake. One long masterpiece. No difference. Whatever we choose, we choose it right now. Now. Now.

What says the wind? What says the snow? I think it’s a sort of “whoosh” sound. But the snow is a sort of “shh-tik, shh-tik.” Ask existence its value and it says, “whoosh” and “shh-tik, shh-tik.” What should I do? Whoosh. Shh-tik, shh-tik. And that’s the way it is. I sink down into the silence below the wind and snow. Neither naiveté nor irony, you try to choose the middle way. What do I know about existence? A few things that I remember. A few things that I am experiencing right now. Now. Now. What do they tell me I should do? Whoosh. And shh-tik, shh-tik. Am I predestined or free-willed? Whoosh. Shh-tik, shh-tik. I will sit. I will listen to the silence beneath the rumbling static of quanta. What will it tell me? Whoosh. Shh-tik, shh-tick. I will get up and shower and make my lunch. I will tell myself a story. I will tell myself a parable. I will tell myself a lie. I will tell myself “whoosh” and “shh-tik, shh-tik.” How much further can we go into it? Where is it? Where is it? Whoosh. Shh-tik. Shh-tik.


3 Comments:

Blogger zerbipedia said...

So this is where you've been hiding out. Yesterday I bought The Unicorns cd and thought of you. I am coming up to Buffalo next month. Can I see/stay with you?

-holly

February 21, 2006 at 12:00:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bow chica wow wow....aah yeah

February 21, 2006 at 2:13:00 PM PST  
Blogger Spike said...

Yes! I can't remember now why I kept wondering about the Unicorns. They were mentioned in a book, I think. Or a movie. But I think it was a book.





Be good Jonny, or I tell about the time that you... oh, wait, you'd like that.

February 22, 2006 at 6:23:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home