Monday, February 20, 2006

The One Where I Wonder About the Validity of Dreaming of Living in the Woods That Has A Picture of Me Dressed Up Where I Look Kind of Bald


02/20/2006 11:58 AM – 12:19 PM

When last we met, our fair hero was engaged in a battle to the bitter end. We wake up and walk. What is the difference between distraction and learning? Is there one thing better than another for the one that’s here on the ground? Where are we going? What is this little bit? Annoyance with the sun for shining to brightly while the wind blows cold.

While waiting for the spring, one must find enjoyment it the cold, salted streets of late winter. When did I start dreaming of the cabin again? Should I? I suppose I must. That is who I am now. Has all this time just been to prove to me that I should be where I want to be? What would I do when I got to the cabin? Sleep. Wake early. Write. Make things with wood. Eat. Walk a long, long time in the woods. Even on too cold, too bright days like today. It is only to sleep, to reset and start again. You’ve got to learn to be in the cabin long before you get to the cabin. You’ve got to learn peace in the city before you can fall into peace in the woods. If it’s there, you can find a way. The dream does not need be futile. Work towards even as you find contentment in not having what you dream.

After a few weeks of transition, one gets used to the not working. After a few weeks, one can get used to the working. The body moves. It must. The body strives. It must. The desire that must be fought is the desire for the unnecessary. No, not fought. That is the old way. The desire must be faced, analyzed and forgotten. This is the way of the living. Is the desire for the cabin an unnecessary desire? A bird can learn to be happy in a cage, but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t take the chance to fly back to the trees when it gets the chance. The elephant, when left chained to a strong post, will, after a time, not fight when the breakable rope is substituted for the chain. There is learning to be content with what is solid-state now, but striving always for that better that is possible. Perhaps that is what fantasy’s use is. It is wrongly used to distract. It is for play and learning the larger game from the rules. There are dreams of the possible and dreams of the impossible. Strive for the possible dreams when the return again and again. One learns who one is in them. Yes. There are some things worth fighting for. Even the long slow fight of war, counting each step with wounds. Ha. What matter wounds? So on to it. On to the dreaming of the possible. But no chickening out on the hard work of it. Reality exists without your permission, but you can still carve an aspect of the fucking thing into something pleasing. Boogedy-bee.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bald and sexy you mean.

Your right, you do get used to not working after a short while, I did. But then the feeling of being useless kicks in and you just want to be part of the man once again, chugging along in something that at least gives you a glimmer of respectability to yourself and to society. Followed by this is the feeling that your creativity is dieing inside due to no outlet. First it actually preys on the small bit of creativity (at least for me) that you think you do have and then it gnaws on your will to want to be new and original.

At least you have your writing to keep these feelings away, I don't. I have nothing to keep me motivated, and on top of that the ADD sure isn’t helping. Continue to write and read and come up with new ideas. It will keep you alive and motivated and make you feel as though you are contributing to society in at least some small way. Not that the need to contribute to society is really the end you are looking for, but for now it will make you feel just fine.

Get your work out there no matter how incomplete or unworthy you may think it is. Get feedback from editors to help you improve your trade. Eventually the hard work will pay off and you will be where you want to be, whether it is in the cabin on the pond or in the penthouse on Park Avenue. You have a desire to do this that I know is strong and unbreakable. It is a will that I only wish I had.

Never stop being creative.

February 20, 2006 at 10:13:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've updated my blog with some long awaited information that you may be interested in.

February 20, 2006 at 8:53:00 PM PST  
Blogger NY Monk said...

oh my lord! you look pretty kick ass in that pic. looks like you're developing a Dennis Hopper kind of look in your ancientness.
Hmm... I heard someone is turning 30 soon.

February 27, 2006 at 12:48:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home