Sunday, September 30, 2007

Which Is a List of Everything Cool to Do That I Could Think of in Twenty Minutes

09/30/2007 7:19 AM – 7:42 AM

I did everything, he said when he came to die. Alright then, what is everything? A list, I say, I list! To buy rural land with my own money, build a house on it with my own hands, and make and tend a garden large enough to feed 'til the next harvest.

Further, to write, publish and be paid for many novels. To thru-hike the Appalachian, Continental Divide, Pacific Crest, North Country and all the various cool smaller Long trails. To live for a year in Ireland, a small town on the Mediterranean coast, Alaska, a desert and a tropical isle. To find, meet, seduce and marry a woman that’s worth the trouble and will remain so for as long as we both shall live. And to be worth the trouble myself. To read too many comic books and write at least one long one. To read all the Great Books and many, many Damn Fine ones.

And finally, to have and raise children who are driven to enjoy life and are able to do it fairly effortlessly. To be wise. To be cool. To laugh a great deal. To get and keep a body and mind that are able to undertake any adventures that may present themselves. To spend the majority of my life without a boss. To believe in, love and enjoy God while I’m alive but not so much so that I neglect all the wonders of this life. To not worry except to the extent that it is useful. To be able to build a fire with only the stuff I can find around me. To be able to build a bow and arrows from scratch and then take down a deer with it. And then eat the deer. To be able to play the old, good blues on some instrument and sing along with it. To have a workshop and be able to make cool stuff in it. To keep making lists of things to do and then do them until death sneaks up behind me, whacks me on the head and drags me off to heaven, laughing. Me laughing, though death can laugh too, if he wishes.

5 Comments:

Blogger trawlerman said...

existence precedes essence

September 30, 2007 at 2:51:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are some mighty fine aspirations sir. Mind if I visit you in Ireland and your cabin? Perhaps it would be better if you built your cabin in Ireland. Then I am sure you would never leave and I would be forced to visit you and drink many beers and speak of many stories past. I think I could manage the minor inconvenience.

September 30, 2007 at 10:34:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I confess I love these kinds of lists. Focuses and expands the dreamer's mind. (Glad to see your writings again, Spikey).

October 1, 2007 at 6:17:00 PM PDT  
Blogger heidiann(e) said...

to all you listed, i breathe again,
"amen."

let it be so.

October 3, 2007 at 11:47:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Spike said...

-Wait... does that imply free will or predestination? The math is very complicated. I think it involves integers.

-The cabin will be rural America. Ireland will be a thatched cottage, but yes, please visit me there. Either there. But let us endeavor not just to the past but the future and the present as well. I am always happy to inconvenience you.

-I love the lists too. I could probably make them up, like twice a day, but that would be kinda boring. And sad. But I'm glad to see that I'm writing again too. And that you are... ummm... Jillianing. Wait... where's your blog? I like to spy on them.

-Yesh (not yeesh or yeash). Me too.



*As a sidenote. This comment answering technique was stolen from Abby, whose blog, if you do not already know it, you should, because it will make you happy. Guaranteed. From my blog, click on "Shotsnaps" in the right column under "Blogs Spike Likes" You should probably do it right now.

October 6, 2007 at 8:31:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home